First year of university has come to an end, all my coursework is handed in, and it is nearing the time for me to move back home for the summer. Although I am happy the work is over and am looking forward to going home, a big part of me will miss my little halls room and thinking I’ll never be back in there is bitter sweet. So, I am going to reflect on what I will and won’t miss about my accommodation.
What I will miss
- The people. I will miss the friends I have made here in Manchester and having them so close. Little things like eating dinner together in the flat. However, On the flip side I am also really looking forward to being able to spend the summer with all my friends from home who I’ve missed spending time with while I have been away.
- Being so close to the city centre. The convenient location of my accommodation will be something I will miss next year of uni because it was so close to town and all the shops and bars I liked going to. Being able to walk to the clubs was so handy and saved me a lot of money. I also had a quick 5-minute walk to my uni building which made 9am lectures that bit more bearable.
- Most of all, I will miss the freedom of living in halls; being able to do my own thing, and go where I want when I want.
What I won’t miss
- The noise! I definitely won’t miss the noise in uni accommodation, people going out every night of the week when you might be trying to sleep isn’t fun, especially if I needed to be up early. Also, I had the joy of my bedroom window being directly above a squeaky gate that people are walking in and out of at all hours. Cannot wait to never hear that gate again!
- This one is also noised based (there is a pattern here) Fire alarms. This is a known occurrence in uni halls, people over cooking their food and setting the fire alarm off for the whole accommodation. The noise it made was awful and the duration of it varied. Fire alarms can occur at any hour and you are never prepared, they have woken me up before and I can confidently say I will not miss that one bit.
- Planning and cooking my own meals. I am very much looking forward to being back home and having all my meals cooked for me. Although sometimes it is quite fun picking your meals and cooking for yourself, there were times I wished I was back home having my mum cook for me. Being at uni has definitely made me appreciate her meals a lot more.
Next year I will not be going back into halls, but instead I am moving into a flat with my friend who lived with me in my uni accommodation this year. We found a nice little flat in Fallowfield, which is about a ten minute bus ride from the University. It’s big enough for the two of us. I am really looking forward to moving in there in September, but until then I am going to go home and make the most of the time I have to spend with my family and friends.